Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Enlil and Dagan/Dagon

Well, young feller, you mustn't take too much stock in what people around here say.  They're hard to get started but once they do get started they never seem to let up.

The Shadow over Innsmouth, H.P. Lovecraft

With the rash of spectacular assaults by the Storm Gods upon the Earth one would be forgiven for thinking these Gods should be more associated with apocalypse than with fertility nevertheless throughout our history the Storm Lord is always associated with the crops and the tools we use to grow them.  The Storm Gods of ages past wanted to depopulate the Earth as humans had bred to unprecedented numbers and the noise irritated them but lightning is a vital component in the nitrogen cycle that feeds us especially in the times that these lords were well-venerated. 



For many years now I have worked with Enlil (in the form of the Raven) as my patron deity using standard codes from the world of Hermetic Qabalah - blue, the number four, planetary ''Jupiter'' hours and the principles of mercy and charity.  In over four years of work I have rarely missed a weekly incantation or evocation and toast to this ancient storm lord.  As part of the Jupiter work I went to the Temple of Zeus in Katakalon last Summer as an ''emissary'' from my own ''Jupiterian'' deity and supercharged my blue suit and my moldavite anti-time amulet in the grounds of the archaeological site.  One day I hope to go to Nippur - the ''mooring rope'' - but this is beyond my range at the moment.* The results have been completely transformative, overhauling my entire life (in a positive way) and almost always occur on Thursdays with features of the standard code listed above - raising issues that lead me to the free-will/determinism/time-travel work with Raziel, whether the various signatures (physical, linguistic and mathematical) act as strange attractors (and are the cause!) or whether I am mirroring a pre-existing history and that magic itself is not free.



As part of my celebrations of the 80th anniversary of the death of H.P.Lovecraft my theatre company remounted our original work - Lovecraft! - The Musical - this last Halloween Saturday.  For fans of the eldritch master the story is a blend of From Beyond, The Temple, Dagon and The Shadow over Innsmouth with an Arkham Asylum connecting structure and features Dagon as the principal protagonist.  I last staged the show in 2012 before I started the work with Enlil and I was very much surprised to find that Dagon/Dagan is either conterminous with the Sumerian storm god or his son and is also considered to be a god of the grain (dgn is the root for grain).  Comparing and contrasting my new research with the material in the play I was surprised to find various synchronicities with other Sumerian or Jupiterian myths as Dagon enters the Asylum to rescue the ''frog princess'' by shape-shifting, similar to the way Enlil navigates the underworld and captures Ninlil.

We were treated to two brutal storms in the immediate aftermath of each show and although theatrical ritual is the most powerful I no longer think of these rituals as magickal causes so much as rites that are ''timed'' to happen at the same time as the inevitable (although this year super charged because of environmental change) storms.  I might think I am doing the ''timing'' but this is delusional, I know only one iota of the workings of my own mind let alone that of higher dimensional entities that might treat reality like a notepad.  It is not so much an act of summoning the storm as much as it is the storm summoning me.  This ''de-centralizing'' of the magical act - no longer ''I am the boss twisting reality/probability around me with my strangely attractive sigils'', or whatever, but that cause and effect are entangled - reduces the selfishness and ego that is at the heart of many sorcerors' efforts and sublimates it into wizardry.  I don't do the magic but the magic is done through me.

You ought to hear though what some of the ol' timers tell about the black reef off the coast - Devil's Reef they call it.  Its well above water the most part of the time and never much below it but at that you could hardly call it an island.  The story is that there is a whole legion of devils seen sometimes on the reef - sprawled about, or darting in and out of some kind of caves near the top.

H.P. Lovecraft, The Shadow over Innsmouth

*Would ziggurats have been the focal point for lightning strikes?

2 comments:

  1. Re. wizardry, I think it only works that way if we don't pay much attention to it.
    I've been also "humbled" in an unexpected manner by my astrological talismanic work. After all, if I can get what I want - what I've always wanted! - without having to "conquer" it through effort and merit, then, I can't even feel proud about it. So it turns clear that what I really wanted was to feel proud about myself - change my idea of self.

    (It also comes to my mind that the Hero archetype begins with a guy without any talents, and that most of his success is due to a magical gift or supernatural help he receives. The hero is not the subject of the magic, but a medium through what it acts on the world.)

    Peraphs astrological talismans are better than sigils on this regard - 'cos the magic obviously isn't in me or my power - all my mundane ego does is gathering stuff together: stars, chants, stones, herbs.
    The way I see it, it's not I that wear the talisman, but it's it that wears me - I am made a vehicle for the operations of the celestial angels. It wouldn't surprise me if my 3D self and body were seen by the directing angels as just one more component of the talisman among the stones, herbs, and celestial rays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ''...if my 3d self is just one more component of the talisman'' - absolutely that is a really good way of thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete