Boy that MC Hammer. That was another boat that left me on the island.
''Bill are you going to get on the Hammer boat with us?''
No, I'd rather stay here and eat my own flesh.
The reasons I maintain and will continue to maintain the Blogos are few and simple. In order of importance:
1) To sharpen and focus my own ideas by forcing them into vaguely coherent (at least to myself) paragraphs
2) To read others ideas on similar topics to my own and grow from dialogue with those ideas
3) To engage in the debate surrounding the direction of Occulture
1) Journalling this way was and is a good habit to maintain. Having to construct these essays is far more challenging than chatting, emojiing and giffing and, let's face it, you are what you do - if 10000 hours are required to be an expert in anything I'd rather that be metaphysical essays than social media chitchat. In terms of pure exercise its as good for the brain as an hour of mathematics and its better for the soul. I have found it extremely useful to observe other people's journals and their own wrestling with this medium - particular the work of Disrupt and Repair whose Hazy Shade of Winter prompted this reflection - taking encouragement and inspiration along with formative disagreement from many of them.
2) is not satisfied by Facebook or other social media. Facebook is generally a nihilistic experience of scrolling through advertising and examples of banality/mediocrity punctuated by various people screaming their hearts out from tiny little blue comment (Skinner) boxes. Constructive debate is extremely difficult to find/sustain partially due to the format but mostly due to random people who don't really know how to write or form coherent ideas just pitching in and derailing it - if not then a notable occultnik falls prey to the demon of chat and the usefulness ends shortly thereafter. I find it fundamentally demeaning and avoid it like toxic sludge.
Although FB can definitely be blamed in the most part for the decline in the quality of esoteric exchange no small part was played by Social Magic Reactions, at times wry, clever and observant, at times a game of ''shoot the noob'' and at times verging on cyber bullying. It acted as a very powerful discouragement for certain people to share their ideas, compromised a chunk of the blogosphere, and I think the deity behind this was probably content with the damage it caused (if I understand how it originated correctly). You could argue that this damage was surgical (that some people should not be allowed to share and therefore SMR acted as a kind of immune response?) but sometimes the maiming got way out of hand in my opinion.
In terms of the privatisation of the blogosphere by various parties... well, fair enough right? It was their business and in many ways they built the scene so why not capitalise on that? One only hopes they haven't killed the Golden Goose.
3) I feel that the Blogos has contributed in a number of ways:
- the work on cellular consciousness and the crossovers between cell biology /molecular genetics and esotericism is still cutting edge and probably revolutionary
- the work on Qabalah culminating in the Saadia Tree arrangement and the productive discussion with many regarding the Tree of Life
- the more complicated and difficult to express work on time travel as the unifying theory of the esoteric experience (although I admit I have enormous fun trying to get my head around what Raziel is communicating to me)
I realise at times my writing style may be either inaccessible for a variety of reasons (coherence, sophistication or otherwise lack thereof, required background knowledge, attempting to express ''non-expressible'' experience, etc) but I refuse to dumb down (or tone up!) to acquire a larger audience of people I am not interested in.
To those leaving the Blogosphere good luck on your travels through the rest of this experience. Disrupt and Repair you demonstrated a powerful intellect at work on tricky matters with a unique trajectory and will certainly be missed when you close the blog, I enjoyed both the complexity and sensitivity of your posts. Trainee Golem Builder you were a fellow Kabbalist and a rare resource in these dark times. I took inspiration from the way you structured your own learning and the very high goals you set yourself. Continuous peace and unending megablessings to you both.
Who knows what will happen to this dimension in the future? I imagine it will depopulate like an abandoned level in World of Warcraft, only those souls remaining that cannot give up on the dream. Who knows, who even cares? I'll be here for the forseeable.