Thursday, October 26, 2017

Blogos, Blogging and the Blogosphere

Boy that MC Hammer.  That was another boat that left me on the island. 
''Bill are you going to get on the Hammer boat with us?''
No, I'd rather stay here and eat my own flesh.

Bill Hicks

The reasons I maintain and will continue to maintain the Blogos are few and simple.  In order of importance:

1) To sharpen and focus my own ideas by forcing them into vaguely coherent (at least to myself) paragraphs
2) To read others ideas on similar topics to my own and grow from dialogue with those ideas 
3) To engage in the debate surrounding the direction of Occulture

1) Journalling this way was and is a good habit to maintain. Having to construct these essays is far more challenging than chatting, emojiing and giffing and, let's face it, you are what you do - if 10000 hours are required to be an expert in anything I'd rather that be metaphysical essays than social media chitchat. In terms of pure exercise its as good for the brain as an hour of mathematics and its better for the soul.  I have found it extremely useful to observe other people's journals and their own wrestling with this medium - particular the work of Disrupt and Repair whose Hazy Shade of Winter prompted this reflection - taking encouragement and inspiration along with formative disagreement from many of them.

2) is not satisfied by Facebook or other social media.  Facebook is generally a nihilistic experience of scrolling through advertising and examples of banality/mediocrity punctuated by various people screaming their hearts out from tiny little blue comment (Skinner) boxes.  Constructive debate is extremely difficult to find/sustain partially due to the format but mostly due to random people who don't really know how to write or form coherent ideas just pitching in and derailing it - if not then a notable occultnik falls prey to the demon of chat and the usefulness ends shortly thereafter.  I find it fundamentally demeaning and avoid it like toxic sludge.

Although FB can definitely be blamed in the most part for the decline in the quality of esoteric exchange no small part was played by Social Magic Reactions, at times wry, clever and observant, at times a game of ''shoot the noob'' and at times verging on cyber bullying.  It acted as a very powerful discouragement for certain people to share their ideas, compromised a chunk of the blogosphere, and I think the deity behind this was probably content with the damage it caused (if I understand how it originated correctly).   You could argue that this damage was surgical (that some people should not be allowed to share and therefore SMR acted as a kind of immune response?) but sometimes the maiming got way out of hand in my opinion. 

In terms of the privatisation of the blogosphere by various parties... well, fair enough right? It was their business and in many ways they built the scene so why not capitalise on that?  One only hopes they haven't killed the Golden Goose.

3) I feel that the Blogos has contributed in a number of ways:

- the work on cellular consciousness and the crossovers between cell biology /molecular genetics and esotericism is still cutting edge and probably revolutionary
- the work on Qabalah culminating in the Saadia Tree arrangement and the productive discussion with many regarding the Tree of Life
- the more complicated and difficult to express work on time travel as the unifying theory of the esoteric experience (although I admit I have enormous fun trying to get my head around what Raziel is communicating to me)

I realise at times my writing style may be either inaccessible for a variety of reasons (coherence, sophistication or otherwise lack thereof, required background knowledge, attempting to express ''non-expressible'' experience, etc) but I refuse to dumb down (or tone up!) to acquire a larger audience of people I am not interested in.

To those leaving the Blogosphere good luck on your travels through the rest of this experience. Disrupt and Repair you demonstrated a powerful intellect at work on tricky matters with a unique trajectory and will certainly be missed when you close the blog, I enjoyed both the complexity and sensitivity of your posts. Trainee Golem Builder you were a fellow Kabbalist and a rare resource in these dark times.  I took inspiration from the way you structured your own learning and the very high goals you set yourself.  Continuous peace and unending megablessings to you both.

Who knows what will happen to this dimension in the future?  I imagine it will depopulate like an abandoned level in World of Warcraft, only those souls remaining that cannot give up on the dream.  Who knows, who even cares?  I'll be here for the forseeable.

3 comments:

  1. I'm ever here, reading you and also (while I still can) Io. You two are the best on the occult blogosphere nowadays (coupled with a few others, such as Sarah Anne Lawless and the recently-deleted Dyonisian Atavism by Von Faustus. As a side note, another day I did catch up Von Faustus posting about deleting his blog, and managed to save a good chunk of his best posts in my hard drive.)

    I've been blogging for a decade, and I'd like to contribute to keeping the international scene alive. In reality I'm a loner with a tiny public in the portuguese-speaking scene... (dominated by low quality, "chaos magic" blabber).

    There are the language barriers: I write mostly in portuguese, this is tied up with my sustenance as an astrologer so I can't just migrate to english, and also my english is workable but quite rough at the edges.

    But the biggest barriers to sharing my experiences are the spiritual barriers.

    I mean, I've came to know there's stuff I can't share, and stuff I can. This is often why I keep a low profile about my practices and results: I often can't distinguish what I can and what I shouldn't share without doing some divination heavy-lifting (and I have always so many puzzles to divine, being a self-taught magician without reliable clariaudience and seeking guidance by the spirits).

    More recently, I can feel in my body when I'm crossing some boundary, usually as sensations on third-eye and crown chakra. Often it's not clear cut, more like a "maybe" from the guides, and I find myself groping through the dark to discover where's the problem with what I'm doing.

    I think there's a point of maturity when the fruit is ripe to be shared.

    Anyway, I would like to thank you for keeping up with this blog, offering so much food for thought (and also, I'll not lie, the excitement of your astral explorations, which inspires me to keep pushing till I break through).

    ps. your posts are a bit shorter than what I would find satisfactory, but I concur that they are a bit longer than the majority of the readers can take. And your language (re. it's sophistication or lack thereof) is well balanced, in my view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your English is absolutely fine although I understand why you want to write in your native tongue. When you write a blog post I have to use google translate and though obviously flawed I do not mind at all.

    Regarding the rule of silence, I go with Patrick Dunn's opinion which is it is a rule of not chatting - which as I say above and repeatedly throughout the blog is the biggest challenge we face as an international community trying to communicate in these ways. Blogging is great for this because it highly discourages chat and rewards crafted thinking. Its a fine line between conversation/dialogue and chat.

    I feel that magick protects itself regarding who can and cannot know or understand these things. These blogging circles are so small that its not exactly like we are letting the cat out of the bag and since its clearly Skyfall time I am not quite sure what the point of keeping secrecy is. I think when it is a grey area you should try (and prob. fail!) to put it into words, I think that is a good exercise too.

    One of the things that Raziel has told me during our conversations is that there are always very few magicians in the world (and by magician I think he was meaning those who specifically work in 4 or 5D as opposed to ''3D'' which as I understand it he doesn't even consider magick) and in fact there are considerably less in the near future. The self-congratulation from some quarters on the rising popularity of magic etc is idiotic as it leads to its mass rejection - and the magicians of the hipster gardens of the future might all be ''3D'' regrettably.

    Thanks for your compliments though although I have to say this post was not an attempt to get them from people. One of the things I don't like about the teacher-student focus as opposed to the peer-driven Occulture of my dreams is the endless sycophancy. But I would like to see more criticism and commentary if you get the chance/time - as this is helpful.

    Regarding post length, yes the posts are short and intentionally so. I feel that it means that I have to be extremely economic with my language to try and fit the concept onto just over a screen and I like that challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried writing something yesterday; it failed, I think (or maybe it quadruple-posted, not sure). In any case, I tried to say that I'm glad that you're still writing. I rarely understand some of your material, but I am glad to be part of the conversation about magic with you — even if how we write about magic is quite different from one another.
    That said, it DOES feel like the conversation is dying. I get six times as many one-button "likes" on my blog as comments; most of the comments I do get these days are offers to tweak the SEO of my blog to get more readers; and I'm largely out of the mainstream of both the teaching audience and the occult audience. So no one feels much need to respond or participate in conversation. Maybe it's better that way?
    I do agree, though, that I find benefit in thinking through my ideas, creating a record of them, and contributing to the non-facebook universe. There is a sense of occulture growing, even if it hasn't left the mainstream social media worlds very much these days. I intend to still be here, long after the big blue box is a wasteland, if at all possible. We can be the lonely voices in the WoW server, trying to find one another in a digital desert...

    ReplyDelete